15 April 2016

Review: Champion by Marie Lu

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Marie Lu
Pages: 369
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 5/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

He is a Legend.

She is a Prodigy.

Who will be Champion?


June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position.


But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything.


With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.

My Thoughts:

"Hi," he says. "I'm Daniel."
"Hi," I reply. "I'm June."

Champion.... you mean CHUMPion AM I RIGHT?!?!?!

*waits for applause*

No okay..

Actually though, more like chumpion.

This book was mediocre. I'm going to admit, part of my disdain for this book may be because I listened to it on audiobook rather than reading it, and part of it may be because I completely lost interest when I got to the second book. Personally, I found this ending to the trilogy rather anticlimactic. Not much of anything happened except people speculating and the government trying to solve their issue and people getting sick, but other than that nothing really HAPPENED. Even the ending "action" scene was nothing more than a measly fight scene on the roof. It just seemed lack lustre of the end of a trilogy. With that said though, I feel like the book could have been worse. It kept my interest at most.


The characters were kind of mediocre as well. June was whiny as all else and it kind of pissed me off how she went between Anden and Day almost as much as America went through Maxon and Aspen (except not as dramatically), but every time she was in the room with either of them she would be attracted to both of them and her floppiness around that irked me. Day was more tolerable than he was in Prodigy. I distinctly remember being annoyed by his entire demeanour in previous book. Here he was a little better. The characters I wanted more of were Eden and Pascao, they were the best part of this book. I have no feelings toward Anden, tbh. He was just okay. Just there.

I don't really have much else to say about this book except that it fell kind of flat for my liking. It wasn't a gripping trilogy ender in any way, shape, or form, and it was also kind of predictable in some ways. Also, the epilogue. I thought it was a cop out to satisfy the readers, but I just feel it was unnecessary.

Final Thoughts: I'm kind of disappointed in the ending of the trilogy, but I'm gonna be honest it was not a terrible book in and of itself. It was just average for a trilogy ender, I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...