4 November 2015

Review: Second Chance Summer

Reviewer: Kristen
Author: Morgan Matson
Pages: 468
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 7 out of 10

Summary (you rock, Goodreads, don't ever change): Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.
My Thoughts: I decided to pick this up because I was in the mood for a light and summery read, something contemporary but with a bit of a punch. And, I'll admit it, this book punched me right in the face. There was just something that was incredibly raw about it, what Taylor feels, especially in regards to her dad, was so real and vivid. It was like I went on this trip with this family, and I was there while they spent the time that they could with their dad. It was heartbreaking and funny and just what I needed to kick off a huge contemporary binge.

Taylor was a shy, and not so confident main character. She had some issues that she needed to deal with and some relationships she needed to figure out. It was easy to forget that she was only supposed to be 17, because a lot of the time she felt a lot older. This summer was literally Taylor's second chance at everything, and it was refreshing to see her grow and change as a person. It was definitely an emotional roller coaster.

So, now that we have that out of the way, I think we should take some time and talk about the romance. Because who doesn't love some romance? I think that the romance was a little to unbelievable for me at times. There was definitely some insta-love and a whole lot of pining that I didn't quite understand when they had been apart (and not speaking) for literally years. I get the resentment that Henry and Lucy felt, I just didn't get why they were so intense about it. So, for that reason, I couldn't rate it any higher. That was really the only issue I had with it though, so I definitely think you should try this one out if you like contemporary romances with a bit of an emotional punch. Sometimes you just gotta be hit in the face with the feels, man.

Final Thoughts: Not my favourite Morgan Matson novel (I mean, how can you beat Amy and Roger's Epic Detour?) but definitely a book I would re-read. It was the perfect summery novel with an unforgettable story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...