27 November 2015

Review: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff


Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Amie Kaufman, Jay Kristoff
Pages: 599
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 10/10

Summary (Goodreads, I salute you):

This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.


My Thoughts

“You have me. Until every last star in the galaxy dies. You have me"

This book. Oh my good Lordy Lord. I admit I was a bit nervous going into this book because I've heard so many good things; too many, in fact, that I was worried my expectations were too high. I was also afraid the format it is written in (documents, emails, voice recordings, surveillance footage, etc etc.) wouldn't be effective or would take away from the story.

BOY OH BOY WAS I WRONG. AND THANK GOD FOR IT.

This book is everything I could have hoped for and so much more. ((I am currently sitting here trying to form coherent thoughts about the structure, plot, characters, etc. but I am still reeling over the eNDING)) First off, this team of authors, round of applause please! Just the fact that they created this book together proves how much of a dream team they are. This book was absolutely wonderful in every single way. The format, being written in documents, etc. was so unique and so unlike anything I've ever read before, and I think writing it in this way enhanced the story and made it so much better. The plot, while a bit confusing at times, was so strong and so gripping that it physically pained me to put it down. I did not for the life of me want to stop. I flew threw it, half because of the way it was written and half because I wanted all of it as soon as I could possibly get it. Truly, the characters were hilarious with their sarcasm and wit and the way they interacted with each other. And I don't just mean Ezra and Kady, but Ezra and McNulty, Kady and AIDAN, Kady and Byron. They all formed relationships that influenced the story and my enjoyment level so much.

But in all seriousness, can we talk about EZRA AND KADY ?! OTP STATUS LEVEL UP IN HERE ?! MY GOD. They twisted my heart and made me giddy with feels the entire time. I won't say too much about them together, I don't want to take away from your experience of the book, but I will say they WARMED MY STONE COLD HEART. Not only did I love Ezra and Kady together, but I loved them just as much as individuals. Ezra was absolutely adorable. His sarcasm and wit and how much he genuinely cares about all of his friends was a vulnerable side of him I loved exploring. I loved seeing him get soft, not that he's a "tough as nails" guy either, I wouldn't classify him that way anyway. We just see so many sides to his personality and his character, and I loved all of his sides. ALL OF THEM. I want him. Kady too. She was quite the amazing character. Like Ezra, we saw so many sides to her and I loved all of them. She was strong when she had to be, emotional when she could be, and getting an insight into her journal entries was a glimpse into her psyche that I absolutely loved. Overall, without rambling of course (because when do I ever ramble lolol) Ezra and Kady were the best main characters I could have imagined for this story.

While this book made me smile and laugh and feel all the nice things, it also did the very rude thing of rIPPING OUT MY HEART, STOMPED ON IT, PUT IT BACK, TOOK IT OUT AGAIN AND RIPPED IT IN A MILLION TINY PIECES. There are so many tear stains in my book it is troublesome. I sobbed uncontrollably during this book, therefore I am forever changed as a person. I won't give you more context than that. You're just going to have to pick up this book and find out for yourself so I'm not the only depressed, heartbroken reader of this TRAGICALLY BEAUTIFUL BOOK.

Final Thoughts:

In all seriousness, this book exceeding all of my already high expectations, and I can happily and easily say this has become one of my favourite books of all time. ALL TIME. Really and truly. I recommend this to anyone who likes sci-fi and fantasy and space adventure, but also cRYING FOREVER AND BEING HEARTBROKEN. I do not really have anything negative to say about it, except whY YOU HURT ME THIS WAY?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...