21 November 2015

Dream Literary Collection

Heeeeyy, how you doin'? (she says in her best Joey Tribbiani voice, which, let's face it is not very good at all) It has been a hot minute since I've actually written a post for the blog, so I apologize for that. But today, we are going to talk about my dream literary collection AKA my favourite thing in the world to talk about. Ask Kelsey and Kayla, I don't shut up about my future library. But, that's beside the point. Kind of. Anyway, Invaluable.com asked us to write a post about what our dream literary collection would include, so here we gooooo! I'm going to talk about some must needs for my shelf as well as just what would be super cool to have!

1. Signed First Editions of The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins 
I think this one goes without saying. I love The Hunger Games. I have always loved The Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is my Harry Potter, and what Potterhead doesn't want signed first editions of the books? I'm halfway there though - I have first editions of all the books, but none of them are signed. How freaking cool/fantastic/amazeballs/life-changing would it be to meet Suzanne Collins have her sign my copies? It is a goal of mine, and I would LOVE to have them in my collection!
Bonus: ARCs of The Hunger Games and Catching Fire would also be freaking amazing to have. A girl can dream, can't she?

2. My dream literary collection would be huge. I mean, Huge with a capital H huge. 
The dream of all book lovers/hoarders/collectors/aficionados is to have a humongous library full of cozy couches and fuzzy blankets and books that you still have to read. Right? I mean, this is kind of general, and not really helpful at all, but my dream literary collection is huge. A whole room, at least. I mean, celebrities have home theatres, why can't I have a home library? The size of The Library of Congress. That's not asking too much, right?

3. A signed copy of A Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
I studied this in high school, and absolutely loved it. I don't know what it was about it, but the story captivated me and I think it would be fantastic if I could get my hands on a signed copy. I went to Europe in high school, and when we were in Paris there was a little book store with a copy of A Catcher in the Rye just sitting in a pile of books, and when I opened it up to flip through it, it was signed. You do not understand the regret I have for not picking it up. At that point, I hadn't read the book and I doubted I would like it when I did, so I didn't bother getting it. It was 20 euros. The regret. It's real.

4.  Signed copy of anything Judy Blume
My inner 11 year old insisted that I put this on the list. Judy Blume was everything to little prepubescent Kristen. I loved all of her books, I felt like I was the only one in the world who could relate to them, and I felt like Judy Blume just reached into my brain and understood me. You know, as all over-dramatic 11 year olds do. So, having anything signed by her would make me extraordinarily happy. I will be passing down the love of Judy Blume to my kids, so it would just be cool to have.

5. The Old and Beautiful Copies of Classics 
I bet you thought I couldn't get more vague than when I said I wanted a humongous library, but look at me, vaguing you to death. But, you know what I mean, right? The old copies of classics that just seem to transcend time and look beautiful on any shelf you put them on. Having copies of all the classics that were old and loved and read and shared is something my English major soul needs. I want them all, even if I don't get to reading them all. Whenever I hold one, I always feel like I'm traveling through time. You know how Claire travels to Jamie through the rocks? Maybe books are my rocks... that would be awesome and also terrifying. But, yes, I want all the old beautiful classics that are just waiting to be loved.
They're just too beautiful to pass up!

That's my dream collection! What's yours?
- Kristen


And what about me, Kelsey? Well, I can attest to the fact that Kristen never stops talking about her dream library. I never stop dreaming about my dream library. Whenever I think of what my future dream house will look like, the first thing I think about is the library I will build there. It would definitely be considered dreaming big but here are some of the things I want to be there, in no particular order...

1. I want all my series to be in the same format
There is nothing more satisfying than having a complete series and every single one of those books is the same size and height. I have far too many series that are mixed paperback and hardcover. I don't have a preference of format but it kills me when they are all different sizes. My current library has been subject to book trading within the three of us. Kayla often trades hardcovers for Kristen's paperbacks or vice verse. A few of our trips to the book story have been so that one or two of us can complete a series in a format but I never take part because...well...money. When Kristen gets one that fits, I usually get the old one, which leads to more size confusion. I also have this unfortunate problem of buying a book that's been out for a while at one size then liking it and buying the next right away. This means it's usually hardcover and paperback. If I had $5 for every time I did this, I would be able to afford to make them perfect for my dream library.

2. I want Funko Pop Vinyl figures for favourite characters
I know that the little figurines are completely useless but I want them. I would love to use them as bookends for some of my series. Specifically, I want Claire and Jamie from Outlander. They made it to my Christmas list this year, so here's to hoping!

3. I want all my books to be visible and off the floor
It seems like such a silly thing to want but my current book problem is that I have books everywhere. I have books on my floor. I have books under my bed. I even have two shelves full of books in my closet! It makes me so sad that I don't get to look at them all the time. I can't see what I have. Trying to decide what to read next is a total disaster. I would have 'to be read' shelves and would have open bookcases all around a single room. It would be my book paradise.

4. I want a signed...something
To be clear, I have signed books and I shouldn't complain. I have a signed The Fault in Our Stars and a Kathy Reichs book. I have a signed Alistair Macleod (just before he passed away actually, he came to our Canadian Literature class, Kristen spelt her name wrong, it was a good day) and a signed copy of Library of Souls (TBR). I have many signed copies, it what I'm getting at. The problem is that I want a copy of something that is special to me, like Maybe Someday, or that is super cool. I want like a signed Hemingway or something...maybe a Twain or Fitzgerald...or SOMETHING.

5. I want a ginormous, comfy, cuddly, warm place to sit
I am always uncomfortable when I read. There seems to be no way around it. In my dream library, I would be able to read comfortably. I would want a big chair that I can curl up in but also put my feet up or hug my legs to my chest or curl up in a ball. I want it to be cool enough in my library that I can curl up with a blanket and not overheat. I just want to be really comfy so that I can read five-ever. CAN'T I JUST HAVE THIS ONE THING, PLEASE?


That's what my dream library would look like...at least, that's part of it.
- Kelsey



It is now my turn to talk about my dream library, and this fantasy is so unreal that I can't even begin to imagine what it would include. Damn I am already overwhelmed.

1. Signed copies of Throne of Glass series. All of them. Even those that have yet to be released
It should come to no surprise to anyone ever that the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas are my all time favourite books/series. It makes me feel all the things I can feel ever and I love it so much. I WANT TO MEET SJM AND HAVE HER SIGN MY BOOKS AND BE BEST FRIENDS WITH ME  WHY IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?! Well she favourited three of my tweets on the twittersphere (once on my main/personal and twice on my book tweeter) so I suppose we're almost there. (credit to the owner of the photo because sadly this is not my photo or my books *cries*)





2. I want my library to be guarded by 7,000 puppies
This is less book related and more puppy-enthusiast related, but can we please imagine walking into my dream library and being bombarded by pUPPIES JUST RUNNING TOWARD YOU ?!?!?! THEN TO LOOK AROUND THE ROOM AND WITNESS ALL THE BOOKS?! I don't know about you but this is heaven. With One Direction playing in the background. If this is what is waiting for me in the afterworld I am ready.


3. Dorian Havilliard
My little sunflower Dorian Havilliard is very important to me and it would make oh so very happy if my little cinnamon roll was in my library with me and in love with me and reading all the books with me and telling me what his favourite books are and he is HAPPY...

NO I'M NOT CRYING YOU ARE

4. Belle's Library
Honestly when I picture of my dream library I picture all the books I could ever get my hands on and it would end up looking like this

5. A Series of Unfortunate Events book 14
I would very much like and appreciate a sequel to the ASOUE series, just to see where the Baudelaire's are now and what kind of shennanigans they are participating in because that series was like my Harry Potter when I was young. Whilst I still very much enjoyed Harry Potter, I absolutely loved ASOUE and when I saw the movie, even though it wasn't the best piece of cinematic production I had ever seen, I have probably watched it around 30 times. No shame.

- Kayla

So, those are our dream literary collections, what are yours?

You guys should definitely browse through Invaluable's website! They have so many beautiful things, and I loved to look at them all! Click here for beautiful collectibles that will blow your mind! Personally, I loved browsing through the manuscripts and books! So many gorgeous editions and things I didn't even know we still had access to! It's a beautiful website, go check it out!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...