6 September 2015

Review: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Sarah J Maas
Pages: 645
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: /10

Summary (thanks, Goodreads):

Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past . . .

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.

Celaena’s epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena’s story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.

My Thoughts:
“Let’s go rattle the stars.”

Oh my god. Oh my GOD. THIS WAS PERFECT. IT WAS COMPLETE AND UTTER PERFECTION. THIS IS SO... I'M SPEECHLESS.

This book is absolutely incredible. It's such a perfect instalment in the series, and honestly I could not have asked for anything else from Sarah J Maas. DOES SHE KNOW SHE KEEPS TEARING OUT MY HEART AND STOMPING ALL OVER IT?! AND THEN PUTS IT BACK TOGETHER AND THEN SQUEEZES IT ALL OVER AGAIN?! IT SEEMS TO BE A NEVER ENDING CYCLE! Maas is my favourite writer of all time: her world building, her unexpectedly entwining plot lines, every single aspect she adds to this story is so exquisite and detailed and divine. You can tell how much she has progressed as a writer and her storytelling throughout the series, as she adds so much to her writing style and her stories, it's pure talent and passion. You can tell she loves this story and these characters so much. I felt all the feels in this book. I laughed, I cried, I smiled, I felt surges of such pride and joy for these characters and how well they each develop and how much the conquer both their personal demons and their real life demons is so heartwarming. Honestly I made totally nonhuman sounds when it came to some parts, especially the last like 100 pages, and I'm pretty sure that's what the wyverns sound like. I'm so dreadfully attached to all of these characters, that seeing just one of them go breaks my heart. These characters are my babies. The character development in this book & throughout the series is remarkable, and I seriously can't help but smile and have a tear well up in my eye as I'm witnessing this growth. Even the characters (ahem Manon ahem) that I didn't particularly care for in Heir of Fire, I ended up loving and seriously enjoying in Queen of Shadows. As well as the many characters she introduced to us, I instantly became attached to them all too. Obviously, I was wary about the newcomers, because knowing SJM, you never know what these newbies can have in store for our assassin under their sleeves, good or bad. Seriously, Sarah J Maas is a legend.

I was kind of bitter when we didn't see as much Dorian, because Dorian is my puppy, number one bae, MY DORIAN, but it was worth it for the end. NO SPOILERIES DON'T WORRY. I felt for him so hard in this book, and I just needed to go pROTECT DORIAN HAVILLIARD AT ALL COSTS SQUAD UP!  Also I'm pretty pissed I have to wait a year for the next book, but I suppose that's okay because that means that, like for the QOS release, I can reread this entire series again oh I'm already looking forward to it!

Final Thoughts:
Ugh, there's just so much I want to say, but I can't without spoiling SOMETHING, so I guess I'll sign off here. Please, for the love of God, read this book. This series. Now. Do it. Or we can't be friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...