22 September 2015

Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Pages: 486
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 8/10

Summary (Goodreads. Da real MVP):

A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.

My Thoughts:

"In the farthest corner, I will find you"

Oh my god this book was a whirlwind of everything you could want in a book. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made my heart stir up emotions I didn't even know existed. And THAT PLOT TWIST?! One of the best I've ever read. That technique on the author's part was one I was definitely NOT expecting, but I applaud her for her cunning deception (pun absolutely intended)! At first, I thought I hated it, because i felt so dumb, and I was actually going to lower my rating I had in mind for it. But then I thought about it and how brilliant and clever it was on Pearson's part, and I couldn't let her brilliance be disregarded.

There are so many things about this book that I very very much enjoyed, especially the characters. Lia's character is one that I liked at the beginning, but ended up absolutely adoring by the end. She really came into herself and her newfound freedom; she really exemplifies what she's learned during her time working for Berdi, and she takes that practice and portrays it even towards the end of the book. She learns so much about love and life and the world and its so refreshing to witness her development so intricately. The things she does for other people left me absolutely stunned and brought me to tears (esp near the end because omg aka horse aka brother) and she's definitely moved up to one of my favourite female leads.

Not only did Lia astound me, but also Pauline, Gwyneth (I freaking loved her), Walther, Dihara, Berdi, and especially Rafe and Kaden. I'm not going to go into too much detail about what I think of these two men and the romantics that befell these characters, because that would be hardcore spoilery, but if you want to talk about this PLEASE I WOULD LOVE TO I HAVE SO MABY OPINIONS AND FEELS THAT I CANT EVEN ADDRESS RIGHT NOW AND ITS KILLING ME. But hey I will say RAFE. That's all you need from me about that. Anyways, all these characters play a significant role to the story and toward Lia. The character that distinctly proves this point is Pauline. Their relationship and dynamic was so natural. They balance each other out and know each other well enough to make a such a good partnership. I feel like something is totally up with Gwyneth (obvs) but I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT YET. Also not one character got on my nerves, except Malich, but for good reason.

The only reason I couldn't give this book a full 5 stars was because of the world building. I thought it could have been expanded on earlier on in the book, and while we did get some tidbits of history and how their world came to be and their gods and all that stuff, I feel like it wasn't adequately explained enough, and that it could have been done more clearly. Even now I'm still a bit confused about Lia's *discovery* and what that means for her and how it came to be for her. Also, I thought Jezelia was her last name? Is it not? I need to look that up. Also I thought the pacing in this book was quite slow at times, and while I can see that being used to the advantage at some points, I feel like at other times it was too slow for my liking.

Final Thoughts:
Besides that, I really have no other complaint about this book. It definitely was not what I was imagining it would be, and it completely surpassed my expectations. It goes without saying I am picking up the next book ASAP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...