4 September 2015

Review: The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Rick Yancey
Pages: 300
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 7.5/10

Summary (thanks, Goodreads):

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.

My Thoughts:
This book had me on an adventure, I can tell ya that. First of all, Yancey's writing is one to be reckon with. I really appreciated his style and his compelling way of creating this unique world I don't even understand. We got a lot more dynamic of the other characters that didn’t show so much in the first, as well as some of the main characters were lacking in interest and development.
I feel like we didn't get as much of Cassie in this book, or maybe I just didn't grasp it. Either way, she still put in that sarcastic quality that I adore about her character. She's a strong female lead who has a love interest and acts the part, but she still kicks alien butt. Personally, though, I thought Ringer outshone her in this book.
I loved Ringer's story and it was my favourite part of the book. I loved learning about her past and hearing her tell her story was so different from any of the other characters. She added such a unique quality to the story, and it would not have been the same if Yancey decided not to write from her perspective.
Ben though. Ben drove me nuts in this book. He kept complaining about EVERYTHING. And like I tried to sympathize with him because there is no way I could come close to understanding what he's going through but he kept bitching about the same shit and he just really bugged me this entire book. I loved him in the first book, so he better redeem himself in the next one.

Final Thoughts:
This book was driven mostly through the characters and their actions, and the unique perspectives and backstories we got added a lot to the characters that I really enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this series yet but I'm hoping to jump into it before the year is up. I have some weird obsession/likeness with end of the world scenarios.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...