19 June 2015

Review: The Wrath And The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Renee Ahdieh
Pages: 388
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: 9/10

Summary (thanks, Goodreads):

A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi's wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.

My Thoughts:
"What the fuck just happened..." - my literal outspoken words upon the conclusion of this book.
But literally what the fuck.
Give me a few minutes to process what the fuck just happened
.....
.....
.....
Nope, still don't get it. Holy shit.
Okay, let's start with what we know. I loved this book. I did have few, minor problems with it, but overall, I LOVED THIS BOOK.

The culture shock I got while reading this book blew me away. I have never experienced this culture so intricately before, and it was amazing. The writing is absolutely beautiful, and the words Ahdieh uses and the concepts she creates is something spectacular, and it really imprints in your mind because it's so distinct and effortless. Personally, I found it difficult to understand some things because of the different culture, such as titles assigned to people (ie. "malik" vs. "caliph" vs. "sultan")(I guess it means like "president" vs. "prime minister" here? i'm still not entirely sure). Although, the world-building got better and better, and you come to feel like you know the characters. I found it hard to figure out who was good and who was bad, and the ending left me blindsided but not utterly surprised. Frankly I'm kinda pissed I didn't figure it out sooner.

The storyline, as well, is also so unlike anything I've ever read. The mystery and secrecy just keeps getting weirder and weirder and I read the majority of this book (probably from page 168-388) in one day because I did not, could not stop. As everything unravels, everything else becomes so much clearer and the characters unfold because of it. I was expecting more & more explanation for the magical element of the story, but I'm hoping it will be expanded on in the next book! Where do these people get powers? How come some people have them and some don't? SO MANY NON-ANSWERS.

The romance between Shazi and Khalid was also something to be reckoned with. While Shazi's arrogance and faltering feelings did annoy me at times, I found myself desperately wanting them to be together. It did start off a bit rough for me, like when she tried to fool Khalid into telling her his secrets by using guilt against him, all the while keeping secrets from him herself. They just kept hurting each other for seemingly childish things time and time again. But then they would get really cute and then they'd kiss and MY HEART LEAPT FROM MY CHEST. I just wish she would have used compassion and selflessness to make him trust her rather than hurting him over and over. Despite this, she did come to be better and really be understanding and tolerable toward Khalid toward the end when all is revealed. I just can't get over her previous selfishness. EVEN THOUGH SHE KNEW KHALID WAS NOT ALL BAD. Okay I'm going to stop before I spoil it. I have hope for Shazi in the next book. DON'T LET ME DOWN GIRL. And I just feel so bad for Khalid. He's just the cutest and bravest and strongest and swoon-worthiest. I can't say more about this little angel face without spoiling but believe me HE'S SUCH A PUPPY LIKE I CAN'T I NEED TO PROTECT HIM.

Final Thoughts:
The world was amazing, the romance was steamy and to die for, and the storyline can do nothing but progress greatly from here. I did have some problems with the book (*cough Shazi cough*), but I am past it. I really did love it! The ending leaves many unanswered questions and things I am uncertain about, but I promise you won't be disappointed with it. The storyline is addicting and you, like myself, WILL NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOW

2 comments:

  1. OOoh very nice review! Keep hearing amazing things about this one! I plan to read it eventually, there are just too many other priority reads at the moment! But soon! Definitely soon! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! And believe me we all understand the struggles of priority reads! Good luck conquering that list :) xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...