18 April 2015

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Reviewer: Kayla
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 416
Format: Hardcover
My Rating: /10

Summary (thanks Goodreads):

My Thoughts:
so, just so we’re all clear, this has quickly become one of, if not my all time, favourite series so far in my reading career. though i thoroughly enjoyed the first book, the second and third got my heart reaching for so much more. thank god there’s going to be many more books to come. but, but, let’s not get ahead of ourselves, friends. let us review throne of glass.

unfortunately, it took me much longer than i anticipated in reading this, and this is probably due to the fact that (a) i got the flu and did not want to do anything besides watch tv for about a week, (b) because of said flu, i got into a slump after i was over my illness, and (c) there was a criminal minds marathon on tv that i could not tear away from.
But clearly I did and I finally finished this book and holy shit balls was it fantastic. It was so well written and every single page in this book had me craving more, wanting, needing to know how this was possibly going to turn out. I did sort of predict the outcome of the characters, but I didn't expect to enjoy all the characters so much. Even when you hate a character, you really hate them, and when you love them, you really do. An agonizing amount.

Celaena is a perfect example of this. I thoroughly enjoyed her as a main character, and she’s the most kick-ass female character i’ve ever read about. I loved how she's labelled Adarlan's Assassin and is pretty much the most feared person by so many, and she's an eighteen year old girl. Her sarcasm and wit add to her charm, and she has a way of making everyone fall in love with her. Literally everyone. The relationships she forms with the other characters, not just romantically with Dorian (AHHHHHH DORIAN) and Chaol, but also platonically with Nehemia, Nox, Phillippa, even her guards whom we barely get to know, and of course the puppy who did not have a "people temperament". The way she doesn't take shit from anyone and her unwavering curiosity is a great aspect to her character we don't see often in female leads.
The problem is, though, is who I ship her with. Dorian or Chaol? Like each pair has their own strengths and both men bring out the best in her and she brings out the best in each of them. I'm so freaking excited to see where the relationship between each of them unravels from here. BUT DORIAN. I LOVE DORIAN. HE’S SO CUTE AND THE WAY HE BUGS HER AND SHE BUGS HIM SO MUCH THEY JUST WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT EACH OTHER I JUST.
I also loved how the friendship between Nehemia and Celaena played out. It was so effortless between them and it was so refreshing to see Celaena interacting with someone like Nehemia. She didn’t have to be brave and tough around her to intimidate her. It was so effortless and beautiful, tbh.

Final Thoughts:
Read this book. You should have read it yesterday. Read it and fall in love with it. And then read the second. And the third. and the fourth when it comes out. And the novellas. Wow I love this series so much

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...