24 November 2014

Review: Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 417
Rating: 7 out of 10

**Spoiler Alert: This is the third in this series. Check out the review for the first book, Shadow and Bone HERE**

Summary (Goodreads version): The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.

Thoughts for this novel: I have never wanted to punch a character in the face quite like I wanted to punch the Apparat in the nose. He was deserve it. Hardcore. However, I did love the adventure of the escape despite having to wait a little while in the beginning on the novel. It was a bit slow to start but necessary. It picked up speed.

I was glad for the change in locations. The map at the front of this novel showed me the extent of the world the author created it. I wanted to get into the world and see where we could go with it. I got that wish fulfilled.

I'm not sure how I feel about the end of this novel. On one hand, it made me happy but it also kind of didn't. I think I expected more even though everything was wrapped up well. I loved that everything was tied up. It continued to look into the future and how their lives will turn out. Novels that do that are perfect.

Thoughts about this series: Overall, I thought that this series turned out well enough. I liked that the death of characters wasn't avoided. I like that, even though it was only for a short period of time, we were encouraged by the author to play with fire. Not literal fire, mind you, but we were allowed to imagine multiple outcomes based on the love interests in this novel. I like that we were allowed to fall in love with the bad guy for once. We were also welcome to imagine what a world with magic and its creatures would be like. I enjoyed the series a lot, as did Kristen.

Basically: I cannot put my finger on the exact thing about this series that I enjoyed. There were simple yet opened up another world for me to explore. I loved that there was almost every genre in the books at some point or another. These novels truly have something for everyone, all tucked nicely behind beautiful colours. What could taking a look hurt?

P.S. I'm so sorry this review was useless, I waited to long to write the review. I promise that I'll do better in the future, as soon as I catch up on all my reviews that is...I'm so behind!

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was a great review! I really enjoyed the ending too and I thought Leigh did a great job giving us the ending that was right for all the characters. I'm glad you enjoyed the whole series too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...