29 June 2014

Review: Barely Breathing (Breathing #2)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Rebecca Donovan
Format: Paperback
Pages: 502
Rating: 7 out of 10

** Spoiler Alert: Read the review for Reason to Breathe (Breathing #1) here **

Summary (I could barely breathe without Goodreads): "I've spent most of my life trying to make it to a future that still hasn't happened, or avoid a past that won't let me go. I don't remember when I've ever just stopped to live in the present, to hold on to the seconds I'm in."

Emma Thomas’s struggle with an abusive home life came to a heart-pounding conclusion in the final chapters of Reason to Breathe, the first installment of The Breathing Series— Rebecca’s Donovan’s bestselling romantic-thriller (USA Today). Now her secret life has been exposed, and her tormentor can’t hurt her anymore. Yet some are still haunted by that night. The bruises may have faded, but scars and fears, remain. How will she reclaim her life when she's barely breathing?

Thoughts: I liked this novel a lot more than I liked the first in this series. I thought that this one showed more of the characters and who they really were. However, I hate that it skipped over the important discussion of what happened at the end of the last novel. We can't not talk about it. We need to talk about what happened. Yet, there is never a discussion about it. I hate that about this novel. Emma's life changes more than a life ever should and she just goes on. It's almost as if nothing happened. It's like the author just didn't know how to handle the situation so dropped it. 

As for Jonathan... I don't even know what to say. How can someone so not normal look so normal? I liked him. He was a great character when he's dating Emma's mother. I was okay with that. I love, absolutely love, when they have the water fight. All I have to ask about that is who has a water fight inside their house? I don't care. It was a perfect moment. I want to just read that part all over again.

I feel bad for Emma in this novel. It sucks that her life just can't get easier. I do not like her mother, no matter what people say to defend her.

Sadly, I feel like if the previous novel would have ended properly (with an actual ending not a horrible, mean, evil cliffhanger) then I don't think this novel would have been necessary. That said, I feel like I would have enjoyed this novel more if the last one would have been wrapped up in a positive way. I felt thrown into the action yet, at the same time, the action was lacking at the beginning of this novel.

Closing: I liked this novel but would have liked it much more if the first had been tied up properly. Evan makes me a little bit mad but I also love him for putting up with everything he has to. Jonathan was interesting. I feel horrible for Emma. The end of this novel drove me bonkers. The next one was even more fun. Can't say I didn't warn you. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...