28 January 2014

Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings #4)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Jackson Pearce
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 323
Rating: 7.5 out of 10 (I'm the one doing the rating, I can use whatever number system or decimals I feel fit!)

Summary (Don't be chilling with me Goodreads): Kai and Ginny grew up together–best friends since they could toddle around their building’s rooftop rose garden. Now they’re seventeen, and their relationship has developed into something sweeter, complete with stolen kisses and plans to someday run away together.

But one night, Kai disappears with a mysterious stranger named Mora–a beautiful girl with a dark past and a heart of ice. Refusing to be cast aside, Ginny goes after them and is thrust into a world she never imagined, one filled with monsters and thieves and the idea that love is not enough.


If Ginny and Kai survive the journey, will she still be the girl he loved–and moreover, will she still be the girl who loved him?

Thoughts: I really like Jackson Pearce. I like her novels and her videos. She seems like an awesome person. I'd like maybe kill to meet her. Fangirling aside...

Hurrah for a strong female character! Yes, in the beginning, she was kind of weak and struggled to be who she is. She was centered on Kai and his life but she grew into herself. She realizes over the course of the novel that she can be strong and independent and fight for what she really wants in her life. She wants Kai and that's okay. Woman can fight for whatever they want even if that is a certain boy. I thought her weakness would bother me but she wasn't weak. I needed to scratch the surface.

I wish there would have been more development on what Mora actually was. I felt the same thing with Fathomless (The third Fairytale Retelling). I felt like it was only explained on the surface to let the story flow but the actual back story was ignored. No, that doesn't sound quite right. I just wish I could figure out why all of these different types of characters are being thrown together to explain one kind of mythical creature. I mean, it doesn't sound too awful I just wish there was more explanation. Maybe there will be more on this is future novels. Here's to hoping.

Winter is the perfect time to read this. I started reading this on a day when it was -45 degrees Celsius where I live. Maybe Mora was behind it all...
Anyway, it was quite a bit more entertaining because it was so cold. I was really feeling the plot. Every time it spoke of cold, I happened to be cold. It was perfect. 

I thought the plot was solid and entertaining, as were the sort of subplots. I loved the characters, especially the minor background type characters. They definitely were unique and perfect for their roles.

Anyway, loved this but wanted a bit more, I guess.
Not sure if it would be a reread but it was a fast enough read, for sure.

Conclusion: I loved this book but wished it had some more explanation of what the Snow Queen, or whatever, actually is. I will continue to read Jackson Pearce's novels. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys paranormal works or fairytales. Take a look at it. Give it a try.

Favourite quote:
"We'll be in the kitchen eating cake."
"We haven't eaten dinner!"
"We're adults. We're allowed to have cake for dinner,"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...