6 December 2013

Hemlock

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Format: eBook
Pages: 404
Rating: 6 out of 10

Summary (a bite of Goodreads): Mackenzie Dobson's life has been turned upside down since she vowed to hunt her best friend Amy's killer: a white werewolf. Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country, and bloodlust is not easy to control. But it soon becomes clear that dangerous secrets are lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, Mac's hometown—and she is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her in grave danger.

My Thoughts: It took me quite a long time to get into this novel. I don't remember reading the summary because I don't think I would have read this novel if I had read the back. Werewolves just aren't really my thing, most times. Anyway, it mysteriously ended up on my list so I read it. I enjoyed it once I got into it and got past my eReader screwing it up. 

I liked Mac but I felt like she was a bit bipolar. Also, I wish the novel would have talked about the fact that she was seeing her dead friend because that's very strange and probably not healthy. I feel like that should have played a larger part in this novel. It probably would have been good for her to maybe tell someone that it was happening...

I'm tired of love triangles. My love life sucks and I no longer believe that this happens. If it does it's only with "those" people. If this is the case, I vote that they no longer happen. It was especially confusing in this novel because it was sort of the reason for a lot of things happening but you don't figure that out by the end but then it gets even more confusing. BUT TO MAKE IT WORSE, it's also not the reason for it happening. I feel like it might have been just to move the novel along but I didn't agree with it's use here. There are a million other things that could have moved the novel or built up the characters. I don't like how it was done in this novel. It was tired and made me tired and the motivations for everything were so convoluted that I ended up with a headache.

Love Kyle but he too is bipolar. Of course he would beat himself up and do things before calling them a mistake. I don't like the stunt he pulled at the end. It's very...New Moon. Blah.

I wanted to constantly punch Jason in the face. I think I was supposed to feel bad for him but I didn't. Grow up. Learn to deal. Life's tough. You screwed up. She screwed up. Everything went wrong but move on. A high school student with an alcohol problem is not an uber normal thing to have, especially in novels, and it didn't work to do anything but make me hate him.

I think it could have been so much more. If there is a second one, I won't be buying it but this one was an okay read right before exams, I guess.

Basically: Werewolves aren't really my thing. This novel is fine once you get into it. It was an easy read and I ended up enjoying it but I didn't really like the ending. I guess if you like paranormal novels than you will enjoy this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...