25 July 2013

Tidal (Watersong #3)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Amanda Hocking
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 342
Rating: 7.5 out of 10

Summary (couldn't live without Goodreads): The magical world of Watersong is about to change forever. The answers Gemma and her friends have been searching for are finally revealed - but evil is closing in and time is running out....
Gemma and Harper Fisher are facing the fight of their lives. Gemma has been cursed with extraordinary powers that have a terrifying dark side, but she's finally found what she needs - a way to break the curse and become human again. However, finding the means to do it will be her greatest challenge yet. And now Penn, Lexi, and Thea - the gorgeous but deadly creatures who cursed her - are determined to kill her before she has a chance. Making matters worse, Penn has her sights set on Daniel - the guy Harper loves - and Penn always gets what she wants.
As Gemma and Harper race to break the curse before it's too late, they're thrust deeper into a mythical world of immortal secrets. They must into their enemies' past to find the answers they need, even if it means being drawn deeper into their savagely beautiful world. But one of the girls is not what she seems...and Gemma finds an unlikely ally as she struggles to save herself. Will it be enough to break an ancient curse that no one has ever escaped from alive?
My Thoughts: Book three out of four? Oddly Eclipse was my favourite of the Twilight series. The same seems to be fitting so far with this series though, when I started this series, I had no idea it was going to be a saga  Four books is just so many. I wondered the whole time I was reading this novel why there was so much build up and not as much action. It wasn't until I got closer to the end that I realized it was setting up for another novel. The set up seems good although I have figured some things out about the next book, solutions to problems and plot twists. The author may have been too obvious about certain things and too cryptic about others. I'll live. The fourth comes out summer 2013; I can wait that long.
I mentioned above that there wasn't as much action as the other novels in this series. That's probably not true especially even the climax for this novel. The action was dispersed well throughout the entire book. 
I liked that this novel included flashbacks that were both easy to recognize as flashbacks and informative. They added to the story line instead of taking away from it. When flashbacks are useless they drive me up the wall. They can sometimes be an easy way out of some tough explaining but, in this case, they were the best way to explain a character and her life. I like a character more because of it.
Speaking of this character, she really grows on you. When I started reading this series I hated her but as it goes, she really helps Gemma. Yet, there is something about her that doesn't make her intentions clear. She is helping but I question whether or not it is for her own gain. Sometimes the nice characters can turn out to be the bad guys. We'll see in the conclusion of the series, I guess.
This book has a lot more about Daniel in it. I noticed in the last of this series that Harper was beginning to play a larger and larger role. The same is true for Daniel. I'm glad, I like him. He is a solid, good guy that makes choices he really shouldn't have to make yet he never complains about that, he just does what needs to be done. I would kill for a friend like him, not unlike Penn, it would seem.
The cover is beautiful! Just one question about it (trying to avoid spoilers): Who is the girl supposed to be. If the author is reading this, I'd love for her to e-mail me with the answer to that. It's killing me but I think I already know.
Conclusion: I'm excited for the fourth book in this series, not only because it means putting a series to rest but also because you grow attached to a story and characters. I really want to know how this story is going to end. This is a series worth reading if you enjoy easy, quick reads and mythology. The fantasy part of this novel is so huge, it's the whole story. It's more fun with an open mind.
Fun Quotes:
"Feigning human emotion was never your strong suit."
"All the logical [arguments] wouldn't really work because they were stuck in a totally illogical situation."
"I can't read it," Gemma said. "Of course you can't. It's in Romanian" Lydia said. "But vampires aren't your problem, are they?"

"I like to think that I walk the fine line between cheesy and sweet, and I always come out on top."

"I'm not jealous...I'd feel about the same right now if I saw you helping Hitler redecorate."
"I hope you'd be a little more freaked out if I was helping Hitler, because he'd be a zombie."

"Stalking is such a strong word."

"...I know a guy who does underage tattoos."
"How do you know a guy...do you have a tattoo?"
...It was Ursula from The Little Mermaid. ...
"You have a Disney character?" Gemma asked in shock.
"She's a sea witch, and she's badass, okay?"

Did I mention that the book was also quite funny?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...