10 June 2013

Obsidian (Lux, #1)

Obsidian (Lux, #1)Reviewer: Kristen
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Pages: 361
Format: Paperback
My Rating: 8 out of 10

Summary (I don't even like you, Goodreads): Starting over sucks.


When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is


My Thoughts: To begin, I feel as though I need to clarify why I have some apparent beef with Goodreads. I actually don't. I've decided to mix things up, I would kind of incorporate something from each book I'm reading into the Goodreads shout out. Okay, I'm done being awkward. 

Well, it suffices to say that I don't even remember the last time I read a book about aliens. Oh, wait maybe I do. That's right. Never. I honestly don't think I've ever read a book about aliens, because, as shallow as this is, whenever I think "alien" I think green, weird headed things. Well, well, well. If all aliens could look like Daemon Black, avoiding alien books would be a whole lot harder. I mean seriously. LOOK AT THAT COVER. LOOK AT THAT GORGEOUS SPECIMEN. Freak out over. I think. No promises. 

Okay, onto the actual book. I loved Katy. Seriously. I see myself in her, ya know, she's a book blogger (which I totally, totally loved), she's sassy, she's some what of an introvert. I hated Daemon. At first, I hated him at first. I didn't understand why he was so anti-Katy. But then I did, and even though he still frustrated me, it's pretty damn hard to not fall in love with him. Actually though, I added him to my fantasy boy list. He's unintentionally hilarious, and Katy and his relationship is so unforgivingly real, you forget that this is a novel. You honestly begin to think that they really are just a couple of normal (normal being relative, as Daemon is an alien after all). The plot was well-paced, and I seriously didn't see anything coming (though maybe I should have, who knows). 

The book was so well written, and the book has definitely drawn me in. I've ordered the next two, (wtf?! seriously... waiting for the next two seems awful) and I can't wait to get my paws on them. I will definitely be re-reading this series, multiple times!

Final Thoughts: I want me a sexy alien. 

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking for a book that is quite similar to a lot of stuff out there then I have no doubt you'll enjoy this one. While I personally don't mind some similarities, after all is any idea really original anymore?, this one just had too many similarities to books I didn't particularly enjoy for me to get on board with the story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...