10 April 2013

Matched (Matched #1)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Ally Condie
Format: Paperback
Pages: 369
Rating: 7 out of 10 (See more on our rating system HERE)

Summary (thanks Goodreads): Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

My Take: Like I said a few weeks back (technically I said it five minutes ago but since we somehow managed to get a month ahead on reviews it was a few weeks ago for our followers...), I am really, really tired of love triangles. They suck the life out of me. From now on, I'm going to try and ignore them. Wish me luck. 

I like Cassia; I hate the position she is in. I feel bad for Xander. I'm sad when bad things happen to Cassia and her family. I would hate to live in the world she does. Books like this make me so happy to live in the world I do, even with all the bad things that happen to us. This book really makes you appreciate that ability to choose. I could totally see where this future world would come from. At times though, I felt that it was slightly predictable. 

Ally Condie does a really good job describing the world and all the characters in it. You grow attached to the people in it. 

This was an easy and quick read. It didn't require a lot of thinking so it's a great book to read between really difficult books. It's like a book-vacation!

So: I feel like this book was a lot like Delirium and reading them back to back might have been a poor decision but it was still really good. I will be buying the rest of the series as soon as I'm finished this review.   

P.S. I love this cover and that dress!

This is really short so maybe some awesome quotes?
“Every minute you spend with someone gives them a part of your life and takes part of theirs.” 
“Is falling in love with someone's story the same thing as falling in love with the person himself?”
“Once you want something, everything changes.”
“In the end you can't always choose what to keep. You can only choose how you let it go.” 
“We could have been happy. I know that, and it is perhaps the hardest thing to know.” 
Do not go gentle.” 
“Why are some things easier to write than say?”
“That’s how I know they are dreams. Because the simple and plain and everyday things are the ones that we can never have."

Okay, I'm done. Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really tired of love triangles too. It seems like too many authors don't know how to introduce romantic tension, so they have to force it with a triangle. A triangle every now and then is ok...but they're just too common these days! They're a fallback for lazy writers instead of an interesting development.

    Of course, this IS a little better than the normal love triangle, because it's not really Cassia's fault that she's in this situation. Still, I feel really bad for Xander, like you said...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...