4 January 2013

Fathomless (Fairytale Retelling #3)

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Jackson Pearce
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 291
Rating: 7 out of 10 

**My new year's resolution is to stick firmly to the review rating list which is posted on our blog. If the rating seem to be going down, please check what each rating means so there will be no misunderstanding. I hope that this will make it easier for Kristen and I to rate and review for you. We want you to get the most out of our reviews and this will help you do so. If you are curious about our review policy please click the link to check it out: Review Policy **

Summary (Goodreads, you're my hero): Celia Reynolds is the youngest in a set of triplets and the one with the least valuable power. Anne can see the future, and Jane can see the present, but all Celia can see is the past. And the past seems so insignificant -- until Celia meets Lo.

Lo doesn't know who she is. Or who she was. Once a human, she is now almost entirely a creature of the sea -- a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid -- all terms too pretty for the soulless monster she knows she's becoming. Lo clings to shreds of her former self, fighting to remember her past, even as she's tempted to embrace her dark immortality.

When a handsome boy named Jude falls off a pier and into the ocean, Celia and Lo work together to rescue him from the waves. The two form a friendship, but soon they find themselves competing for Jude's affection. Lo wants more than that, though. According to the ocean girls, there's only one way for Lo to earn back her humanity. She must persuade a mortal to love her . . . and steal his soul.


My Thoughts: The beginning of this novel was very confusing. I read about a page before I had to put it down for a moment to digest. It isn't the most easy of concepts to grasp because not only does the book throw one hard to believe thing at you but it throws two at the same time. After reading classics and Christmas stories, this was a shock to understand. Once I sat down and gave it my full attention, it was much better. 

Also, I appreciated the idea of Lo being her new self and her old self at the same time but it was a bit hard to follow at time. I couldn't put myself in her shoes without stretching my already over-sized imagination. As I say that, of course she wasn't the same person that she was before! It shouldn't have been as hard as it was. The conflict between Lo and Naida (her past, human self) is at the center of the story and without it there would be no story. By the middle of the novel, this problem of following along as worked itself out.

I wasn't able to connect with the character in this book as much as I did in Jackson Pearce's other novels; I'm blaming the cold I have right now which is causing me to have reduced brain power.

I didn't really like that there were so many characters in the novel but there is a reason that we don't really understand until the end of the story. It was a pretty fair reason for having them.

My favourite part about this story is that I didn't see the end coming. I have a big problem with books; I have a knack for figuring out the end by the middle of the story. I was happy that this book escaped the grasp of this awful, super power. I was happy with the twists in the plot. I'm also happy with the ending in general. I wish I could say more on it but I am so worried I'll spoil it for you. You will just have to read it yourself to find out if they all live happily ever after or not. The acknowledgements even joke about how the author would walk around saying, "Spoiler alert: they all drown in the end."

Final Thoughts: I preferred Sisters Red and Sweetly to this novel but because it was basically the Little Mermaid, I pulled through. If you've read Jackson Pearce before and liked her then you should, of course, check this novel out too but if you haven't I recommend starting with Sisters Red first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...