16 November 2012

Shiver

Reviewer: Kelsey
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Format: Paperback (Series novel)
Pages: 390
Rating: 8 out of 10

Summary (Love you Goodreads!): For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again. Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this novel. While reading, I wasn't even aware of how long it is but I read it in less than a day. It was great. Nothing was over-explained, which drives me crazy. There was space for your own interpretations and room to grow to love the characters in their own ways. I was glad that the book let me think for myself for a while before giving me the answers.

The down side? The text was in blue. In my copy, it was dark enough in most places to think it was black but certain pages threw me. It was not enough for me to put the book down but books two and three have green and red text, respectively, which may be hard for some people to read. I know it drives Kristen crazy. I was also kind of sad that we didn't get more at the end but, after thinking on it, it might be good that we didn't. I want to read the next one because of that. I guess, I have to admit, that it was a good place to end the story (only because it is continued into another novel). One last minus, at first, I found it hard to believe that she would just fall in love with Sam but I suppose that they were already close so I decided to push on. In the end it was alright and didn't bother me that much.

To close: I over all enjoyed this novel. Like I said, I read it in under a day. I even ignored my midterm and didn't study so I could finish it. It left me with that amazing book high that we all read for. I will be buying the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...